You’re motivated to start a workout routine, but you’re not exactly sure where to begin. Becoming dedicated to your fitness is the first step toward losing weight and becoming healthier, and these beginner-friendly tips will help you to get started.
- Consider your goals. Do you want to lose weight? Run a marathon? Gain muscle? Before beginning any fitness routine, consider your end goals to help make the rest of your plan more productive.
- Create a routine. Work with a trainer to design a workout routine that works with your specific goals, or simply research online to find a pre-made exercise regimen.
- Start slow. In the long run, it’s more beneficial to start with much less than what you can actually do. This will help you to build up your routine and pace yourself for the long haul.
- Mix it up. Instead of doing the same exercise every day, mix things up to avoid getting bored or hitting a workout plateau.
- Write it down. Throughout your exercise plan, be sure to write down all of your workouts, your measurements, your weight loss, and any other details that might contribute to your end goals.
- Find a friend. If you’re feeling really unmotivated, work out with a friend so that you can hold each other accountable.
14 Tips for Starting and Sticking with a Workout Routine [Spark People]
Fitness Program: 5 Steps To Get Started [Mayo Clinic]
Fitness 101: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Exercise [WebMD]